The Weekly Bulletin
Monday, February 24, 2020
Attendee: club members present Didn’t get a count – Somewhere around 10-12
Call to order: President, Mary Dewey at 12:05 p.m.
Invocation: Rick McKernan
Pledge: Jerry Sullivan
Introduction of Guests and New and Old Members (who have been gone)
Welcome any new or returning members
Dave Murphy has returned. He and his wife spent 4 months in Sweden helping daughter with new child.
Birthdays and Anniversaries
Carl – Dave Murphy for coming back
Sign In or Pay the Pig:
Carl – District meeting attendees. Nine from club; High School wrestling tournament this past weekend. Two local schools did quite well. Begrudging kudos for KU sports victory. Ric matched that quarter :o)
- 2nd Qtr East Missouri Conference: I want Thank everyone who attended the 2nd Qtr. East Missouri Conference this past weekend. We earned Honor Club and received our Honor Club patch. We also earned our patch from Optimist Foundation for donation of $20.00 for each member. Carl Scott received Zone 2’s Recognition Award and Deb Swanegan their Catch A Rising Star Award.
- Food Bank: Jim Murphy, Carl Scott, and Larry Fick. Buddy packs and setup for next project.
- Board Meeting Thursday, February 20 at the Board meeting we funded Central Missouri & Northeast Food Bank for the Buddy Packs. They also funded the Soap Box Derby and approved the Christmas tree order.
- Soap Box Derby update: Rick McKernan
Evan Schilling is serving as Derby Director this year. Most prior drivers have been contacted with good response. There will be cars available. They are still looking for corporate sponsors and working on more visibility on social media. Race Day is June 14th (Flag Day). Website: midmosbd.org
- Computer Give Away: Rick McKerman: 50 Computers will be delivered on Wednesday, February 26. Thursday, February 27 will be cleanup and hooking up the computers (4-6 p.m.). Friday February 28 will be used to address any issues discovered on Thursday. Saturday, February 29 computers will be given to selected recipients. Signup sheet was passed around. The Sheriff’s department will again give internet safety presentation. Editors note on 02/28: – Crew of workers showed up by 4 p.m. and the 50 computers were checked out and ready to go just after 6 p.m. Rick gets better organized each time and we worked almost like an assembly line. The computers were in great shape with excellent monitors.
- CYBA game times: 3rd grade boys’ team coached by Lyman plays at 8:00 am at Beulah Ralph Elementary School this Saturday 2/29 and 7th/8th grade boy’s team coached by Tatum plays at 10:00 am and 12:00 pm at the Columbia Sports Fieldhouse.
- Larry Fick: Fish Fry 2/28 Knights of This is the first of two during Lent. 4:30-7:30 p.m. Free shuttle from Our Lady of Lourdes parking lot.
Announcements from the Floor:
Carl encouraged everyone to go out and do some community service on 1/29 – make use of the extra day.
Today’s Speaker: Gay Litteken from Mary Lee Johnston Community Learning Center
Unfortunately the scheduled speaker was a no show. Mary will work with them to reschedule.
- 3/2/20 Lottie Creasy from CPS Motor Lab at Rock Bridge Elementary School
- 3/9/20 Cheryl Howard from Nora Stewart Early Learning Center
- 3/14/20 Coyote Hill Fundraiser Pancake Breakfast at Memorial Baptist Church from 7:30 -12:00
- 3/16/20 Peter Stipleman, Superintendent for the Columbia Public School
- 3/21/20 Kiwanis Club Pancake Day at Columbia College from 7 am to 12 pm
- 3/23/20 Charles Koening from CPS Stem Program
- 3/30/20 Elizabeth Eichenberger from True North of Columbia
- 4/6/20 Linda Schust from Jabberwocky Studio
- 4/13/20 Shannon Stokes from the Central Missouri & Northeast Food Bank (Senior Box Program)
- 4/20/20 Darin Preis from Executive Director from the Central Missouri Community Action
- 4/27/20 Bruce Young from CMSE-Giving Gardens
- 5/4/20 Jessica Muller from Great Circle
- 5/11/20 Gay Litteken from Mary Lee Johnston Community Learning Center
- 5/18/20 Anna Hoskins from Family Great Health Center
Adjourn with the Creed: Well before 1 p.m.
Mary Dewey, President
Prepared by Scott Stager