The Weekly Bulletin
Monday, January 20, 2020
Attendee: club members present about 18
Call to order: President, Mary Dewey at 12:06 p.m.
Invocation: Odie Swanegan (Deb Swanegan’s husband)
Pledge: Steve Klein
Introduction of Guests and New and Old Members (who have been gone)
Jim Murphy’s wife, Sid Sullivan’s wife, Rick Mckeman’s wife, Deb Swanegan’s husband, Audrey Sapp (John Sapp Wife), Steve’s daughter, and older member Robert Maxey.
Welcome any new or returning members
Birthdays and Anniversaries:
No Mystery Person
Sign In or Pay the Pig:
- We offical changed the Dowtown Optimsit Club Tree Lot to John H Sapp Memorial Tree. We had his wife Audrey there when we did the ribbon cutting for this event before we had lunch. Here is a picture of the sign if everyone hasn’t sen it yet. This is th sign that is hanging outside as soon you enter the tree lot. Thank you Steve, Rebeca and Tom for making the signs for us.
- 2nd Qtr East Missouri Conference: Will be held in Columbia on Friday, February 21 and 22 at the Drury Inn which is next to TGI Friday Resta
- They will be collecting socks for homeless kids in the Columbia area
- Mary is in charge of Friday night activity – She is planning a Murder Mystery event
- Food Bank: Jim reported that he worked with 4 Mizzou Baseballs while he was there Monday. He thank them for coming out and help unload the Christmas Trees in November. They told Jim “We really loved the breakfast you all served us that morning.”
- Koeze Nuts – (There are a few items left for sale at 25 % off available at the clubhouse)
- Computer Give Away: Rick McKernan says the computers will be delivered to the club house on Wednesday, February 26. Thursday, February 27 will the day of cleanup and hooking up all the computers. Friday, February 28 will be used to address any issues discovered on Thursday. Saturday, February 29 computers will be given to selected recipients. Sign up to help will be passed around in the next two weeks.
- Boys and Girls Club Chili Cook Off: Will be on Saturday, February 15. Scott Stager will be passing around a signup sheet next week to see who wants to help with cooking or serving the chili.
Scott reports that the following help is needed:
- 8:30 to noon – five people to do the prep and cooking
- noon to 2 p.m. just a couple to hold down the fort and oversee the cooking chili
- 2 p.m. to 6 p.m. Five people to serve chili
- 6 p.m. to 8 p.m. Clean up and haul stuff back to clubhouse. 4-5 folks would be helpful.
Sign up sheet will be available soon. Anyone who can help is asked to contact Scott at 573-474-5955 (H), or 573-424-4764 (cell)
- Chili Cook Off at the Clubhouse: Steve Winter will be out from his knee surgery. Kelly Schilling has stepped up to put this together. Cookoff will be held on Thursday, February 6 (Optimist Day) at the Clubhouse – 6 p.m. Cost is $10.00 for adults and $5.00 for kids. If you bring Chili you eat for FREE. We need 6-8 people to make chili. Larry will start taking money and names of who is going to bring Chili today.
- Soap Box Derby: Will have their first organizational meeting Next Tuesday 7 p.m. at clubhouse
Announcements from the Floor:
Speaker couldn’t come in rescheduled for Monday, February 17
. UPCOMING SPEAKER/EVENTS
- 1/25/20 COSMO Pancake Breakfast at 1715 Burlington St from 6 am to 1 pm
- 1/27/20 JoNette Weaver from Meals on Wheels
- 2/1/20 Ashland Optimist Club Pancake Breakfast from 6 am to 1 pm
- 2/3/20 Tim Haller from Big Muddy National Fish & Wildlife Refuge
- 2/10/20 Lawrence Simonson from PedNet (Pedestrain and Pedaling Network)
- 2/15/20 Boy’s and Girl’s Club Chili Cook-off at the Holiday Inn Expo Center
Kids First Optimist Club Trivia Night and Chili Cook-off at the Legion Club . 6:00 pm start serving the chili and at 7:00 the Trivia Contest begins
- 2/17/20 Bonnie Yantzi and Phil Williams from Fun City Youth Academy
- 2/22/20 Habitat Humanity Pancake Day for detail to come
- 2/24/20 Gay Litteken from Mary Lee Johnston Community Learning Center
- 3/2/20 Lottie Creasy from CPS Motor Lab at Rock Bridge Elementary School
- 3/9/20 Cheryl Howard from Nora Stewart Early Learning Center
- 3/14/20 Coyote Hill Fundraiser Pancake Breakfast at Memorial Baptist Church from 7:30 -12:00
- 3/16/20 Peter Stipleman, Superintendent for the Columbia Public School
- 3/23/20 Charles Koening from CPS Stem Program
- 4/6/20 Linda Schust from Jabberwocky Studio
- 4/27/20 Bruce Yong from CMSE-Giving Gardens
Adjourn with the Creed:
Mary Dewey, President
Prepared by Scott Stager
East Missouri District 2018-2019 “IT’S FOR THE KIDS”