The Weekly Bulletin
Monday, November 11th, 2019
Attendance: 8 members braved the inclement weather to show up for meeting
Call to order: President, Mary Dewey at 12:02 p.m.
Invocation: Rick McKernan
Pledge: Steve Winter
Introduction of Guests and New and Old Members (who have been gone)
Welcome any new or returning members
Birthdays and Anniversaries
Steve W’s Birthday this Saturday (He didn’t offer years) He also reported that his daughter Becca’s is coming up soon. Becca deserves mention since she frequently help out with Optimist activities.
Sign In or Pay the Pig:
- Board Meeting: Thursday, November 21, 2019 at 6:00 pm at the Club House. No funding requests. Will be asking for approval for participation in Boys & Girls Club Rootin Tootin Chili Cookoff.
- Food Bank: Jim Murphy, Carl Scott, and Larry Fick. Did Buddy Pack two weeks ago
- Koeze/ Restaurant Certificates– Steve Winter: 2nd order due today and will be delivered the week of Thanksgiving. Mary thanked everyone who came out last Thursday, November 7 to help unload and put away out 1st order of Koeze Nuts. Steve reported that they had enough help to set a record in time to unload. Mary also thanked Steve and his helpers who sorted and put everyone’s order together over the weekend.
Steve says that all orders are ready for pickup and delivery.
Second order is due today, but late ones might be possible if delivered to Ed Harre by Wednesday (at Boone Bank). A small third order will be placed after the tree lot opens to catch any last minute needs or folks who show up at the tree lot that first weekend and want to order.
- Club Social last week: Mary thanked Steve and Scott for the great job cooking the Shrimp and Boil, Larry for collecting the money and helping out. Also Steve and Larry’s wives for the great dump cake, slaw and corn bread side dishes. Also like to thank Pat Kelly and Rick McKernan for helping to set up and everyone who help clean up afterward. Great job everyone.
- Holiday Luncheon: Will be December 12th at the clubhouse. Larry Fick will start collecting money next week. We are having fried chicken, herb-roasted pork loin, white cheddar macaroni, garden salad, apple Waldorf salad, and rolls. We need to know who would like cake, cupcakes or pies for dessert. The cost is likely to be $12
- Christmas Trees: All Frasiers in 1 or 2 trucks will arrive this Saturday, November 16. The Mizzou Baseball team will be helping unload and to drill 50 9-10’ trees that day. Jim Murphy has spent hours completing Christmas tree tags. Steve is making biscuits and gravy in the morning. Chuck is grilling hamburgers and dogs for lunch. We are looking for club members who can help drill, cut netting off the trees or tag trees to come out this Saturday at 12:00 pm. The East Missouri Optimist Governor Mike Boles is coming up to help with unloading trees and drilling.
- Mary will be passing around a signup sheet for help to fix dinner at Ronald McDonalds house on Monday, November 25. We will start cooking at 3-4 pm. She is having smoked turkey prepared, and would like some ideas for what we should fix as side dishes. We will get a custom tour of the facility at 5:30 pm.
- Mary wants to make sure who ever goes in or out of the front gate of the tree lot make sure it is locked. It had been found unlocked last week. We don’t want anything taken from the Club house or from the lot after the trees come in.
- Saturday Feb 29th is the annual Computer Giveaway. The city of Columbia donates surplus computers to be given to families in Columbia who meet needs criteria. Voluntary Action Center determines eligibility and our cub provides the facility and personnel to process the computers and get them passed out. The 27th will be a prep day when volunteers are needed to check out and clean the computers to facilitate passing them out on Saturday.
- Boys and Girls Club Rootin Tootin Chili cook-off fund raiser is scheduled for February 15th – We NEED VOLUNTEERS. Two of our regulars will be unable to help this year. Sign up sheet will be available in early January.
Announcements from the Floor:
Cheryl Howard from Nora Stewart Early Learning Center
The inclement weather resulted in our speaker not being able to be present.
- 11/18/19 Jolene Schulz from Assistance League Ambassadors (Operation School Bell)
- 11/25/19 Ashlee Smith with a tour of Ronald McDonald House and fixing a meal for the families that night (Still working on the time) (NO NOON MEETING)
- 12/2/19 Jane Williams & Pat McMurry, Love INC
- 12/9/19 Ron Schmidt from City of Columbia CARE program
- 12/16/19 Holiday luncheon at the Clubhouse
Adjourn with the Creed: 12:59 p.m.
Mary Dewey, President
Prepared by Scott Stager