The Weekly Bulletin
Monday, July 15, 2019
Call to order: President Dewey at 12:05 p.m.
Invocation: Rick McKernan
Pledge: Steve Winters
Introduction of Guests and New and Old Members (who have been gone)
Welcome any new or returning members
Birthdays and Anniversaries
Rick McKernan Anniversary on Wednesday – 37 yrs
Steve Winters awarded to Bonnie Landgreder
Sign In or Pay the Pig
Steve Winters – wayward badge
- District Optimist Meeting
Aug 9-11 Optimist East Missouri District quarterly conference is here in Columbia at the Executive Center. A 4 p.m. there will be a demo of Soap Box Derby. President Dewey needs to know attendees by July 17th. Carl and food bank are coordinating a food drive – peanut butter – 16 oz jars. Everyone in the club is asked to donate one. Get to Carl, or leave at clubhouse where Carl has a container ready. We are asking district clubs to donate as much as possible.
- Food Bank:
Jim Murphy – Cheerios again
President Mary Dewey would like to Thank the following people for the great job on the Summer Games and BBQ that took place Thursday, July 11th. Larry and Paulette Fick for salad, Larry’s chocolate birthday cake, cream corn, and the homemade ice cream. Steve Winters and Scott Stager for all the cooking of the meat and Steve for the Mac and Cheese and BBQ Baked Beans. .
- Show Me State Games:
Jake Jolley – Show Me State Games are this Sunday, July 21 and next Sunday, July 28. Be ready for heat and be sure to stay hydrated.
- Board Meeting
Monthly club board meeting is this Thursday July 18th at 6 pm at the clubhouse. We have 4 funding requests.
- Respect for Law BBQ:
Will take place on Saturday, August 31 at COSMO Park Decker’s shelter next to tennis courts. More detail to come. Need help looking for donations from Columbia Business for food.
Announcements from the Floor:
- Soap Box Derby drivers are in Akron and have had runs already. All cars met VIP level for well put together. There will be a live internet broadcast of races on Saturday morning. 500 drivers there to race. The event is a single elimination with three racers running at a time.
- Jack Cruise received a 40 year plaque for Optimist membership at last Thursday social event at the clubhouse. He also had 5 prior years at another club.
- Jim Murphy spent some time discussing the issue of tree lot preparation and drilling. We need someone to oversee that entire operation including planning and execution. Lots of planning and preparation needed. As Jim says, not rocket science, but need someone to coordinate all the lot activities from before the trees arrive through sales period.
Upcoming events and activities
- Thursday August 1st – Tour of the New Ag Park next to the ARC at 5:15 pm. This is towards he end of Thursday market hours, so arrive early and buy produce.
- Friday and Saturday August 8th and 9th – 4th quarter Missouri East Conference here in Columbia at Holiday Inn Executive Center
- Tuesday November 5th – DOC quarterly social event. Annual shrimp feed at the clubhouse
NO Speaker for today meeting
- 7/22/19 Sarah Varvaro from Ten Outreach Program
- 7/29/19 Nanette Ward from Human Trafficking
- 8/5/19 Ellen Drummond from Junior Achievement Program
- 8/12/19 Soap Box Derby Winners
- 8/19/19 Ron Rowe from Youth Community Coalition
- 8/26/19 Karen Grindler from Cedar Creek Therapeutic Riding Center
- 9/9/19 Carrie Gartner the Executive Director of The Loop CID
Adjourn with the Creed:
Mary Dewey, President
East Missouri District 2018-2019 “IT’S FOR THE KIDS”