The Weekly Bulletin
Monday, June 10, 2019
Call to order: President Dewey at 12:05 p.m.
Invocation: Rick McKernan
Pledge: Ken Oster
Introduction of Guests and New and Old Members (who have been gone)
Welcome any new or returning members
Birthdays and Anniversaries
Larry Fick, Anniversary, 56 years
Mary gave to Jake Jolley – for stepping up and helping Rick round up riders for Soap Box Derby
Sign In or Pay the Pig
Carl for everybody who helped at Derby
- Food Bank: Jim Murphy – Chicken nuggets were packaged
- Soap Box Derby: President Mary Dewey would like to Thank the following club members who stepped up and took a double shift when it came to driving the trucks and helping out in other ways .They are Sid Sullivan, Bonnie and Charlie Langrader, Ed Harre, Abam Bakos, Jerry Sullivan, Carl Scott, Ken Oster, John Westbrook and Red Leighton, . Also like to Thank Jake Jolley for helping out Rick McKernan by calling or email all the club member looking for more drivers. Special Thanks to Rick Mckernan and Chuck Boot for a great job yesterday at the Soap Box Derby everything went smoothly.
Record number of racers – 48 racers beating last year by one. Biggest race in central area. Lost 1.5 hrs in morning due to 3 cars parked on street and delay in getting them towed. They were able to recover from the delay and finished races by 4 p.m.
Mary awarded Rick with a 100 year anniversary Optimist T-shirt, and passed out 100 year pins for all those who drove retrieval cars.
- Socials: Summer Games and BBQ – Thursday, July 11. 2019 at the clubhouse at 6:00 pm. Looking for club members to help out with this event. . Larry Fick is now collecting money for the event, $10/adult, Kids eat free. If you are interested in attending the event please contact Larry Fick to purchase tickets.
- Bike Safety Rodeo: The Bike Safety Rodeo at Karis Church (606 Ridgeway Ave) this Thursday, 6/13/19 from 5:00 p.m. to 7:00 p.m. with set up starting at 4:00 p.m. Tables and chairs will be provided. Need help taking stuff over to Karis Church from the club house ( at least 2 trucks) and Help with the stations.
- Show Me State Games: Jake Jolley (Games this year are Sunday, July 21st and 28th). Passed out sign up sheets for our participation.
- Disaster Relief Supply Drive: If anyone wants to help out with Disaster Relief Supply Drive by donating supplies or money for this drive. You can bring the supplies or the money to my office which is located at 701 East Ash Street. Carl provided more information showing a flyer and Providence bank drop off point. Drop off by June 14th.
Announcements from the Floor:
Steve Winters extended an invitation for upcoming annual garden party and invited all. Thursday June 20th, their residence. 6-9 p.m. Bring a side dish.
Marisa, a student at Hickman gave a discussion on the Hickman Review discussing
how they operate. 10-15 students on the committee that produces the review. They start in the fall with fund raising to support their production. Local businesses, organizations including our club make donations.
They seek submissions from throughout the school. Hundreds of submissions through Christmas break. Selection process begins in January. Separate for writing and art submissions. Editors categorize the submissions and they all review and go through a selection process. Final layout is done by editors working to organize the submissions in a meaningful order. Couple of months involved in the editing and layout. There were 50-60 items evenly split into art and writing items in this years review.
Marissa passed around a couple of copies of prior years Hickman Reviews. As in the past they are amazing collections of art work by Hickman students, well organized and presented.
- 6/17/19 Janice Brooks from Columbia Housing Authority/ Moving A Head
- 7/1/19 Dave Fox from Show-Me State Games
- 7/8/19 Kim Dude from Children Grove
- 7/22/19 – Clara Umber from Ten Outreach Program
- 7/29/19 Soap Box Derby winners
- 8/5/19 – Ellen Drummond from Junior Achievement Program
- 8/12/19 Nanette Ward from Human Trafficking
- 8/26/19 Karen Grindler from Cedar Creek Therapeutic Riding Center
Adjourn with the Creed:
Mary Dewey, President
East Missouri District 2018-2019 “IT’S FOR THE KIDS”