The Weekly Bulletin
October 8, 2018
Call to order: Mary Dewey, President at 12:05 p.m.
Invocation: Pat Brown
Pledge: Carl Scott
Introduction of Guests
No new guests today.
Birthdays and Anniversaries
Suzi Moore, one of today’s speakers, had a birthday last week.
Rick Mckernan recognized Steve Klein.
- Sign In or Pay the Pig. Carl Scott paid the pig. He shared there was an article in a recent edition of the Columbia Tribune regarding Share the Harvest. This is a program where deer hunters can donate venison for Missourians in need.
- Mary stated social dues are due now for the 2018-2019 year. Dues are $80.00. This is the Internal Optimist Club 100th year. We are trying to bring new members in this year. Reminder- Educators current and retired and under 30 years old may only pay $30.00 for 2018-2019 year.
- Upcoming Board Meeting Thursday, October 18, at 6:00 p.m.
- Food Bank – Jim Murphy and Larry Fick stated that they worked with carrot packaging at the Food Bank.
- Rick Mckernan asked about the status of the DO Clubhouse shed roof repair bids. Mary Dewey indicated she has received some Board member responses to date in voting for the Martin proposal. Mary will get further updates on the Board vote for the shed repair bids submitted. Update: Downtown Optimist Club will be going with the Martin Metal-Lumber-Trusses Building group on repairing the shed roof.
- Christmas Trees: Jim Murphy stated a clean-up day at the clubhouse grounds in preparation for Christmas tree sales will be on Saturday, 10/20/18. It starts at 9:00 a.m. and should only last 1-2 hours. Please note this is a new date for the clean-up (previously was set for 10/27/18). The reason for the change in date is to complete the clean-up prior to the repairs slated for the shed roof. Jim also stated they are waiting on tags. He is looking for additional volunteers for the drill teams (2 drills). He has cleaned up the drill bits and the drills are ready.
- Larry Fick reminded members of the upcoming Shrimp Dinner on Tuesday, 10/30/18. Larry Fick indicated 24 people have committed to attending so far. The cost is $10/person. Please contact Steve Winters, Larry Fick or Mary Dewey by 10/22/18 if you plan to attend the shrimp dinner.
- Red Leighton mentioned that the dates are arriving soon for Koeze Nuts orders to be turned in. He had asked if we can make sure members not present today at the meeting are reminded about the Koeze Nuts due dates.
- Steve Winters stated he has extra copies of information for the Koeze Nuts/Gift Certificates sales (DO President letter, catalogue, gift certificate flyer, receipt book).
- Carl Scott reminded members that 10/10/18 from 5:50 p.m. to 7:30 p.m. the Columbia Parks and Recreation will have a Neighborhood Park Day at the Columbia Downtown Optimist Park.
Suzi and Bob Moore
Suzi Moore provided information on Big Sonia resources. She shared a documentary called Big Sonia is being introduced into the Columbia Public Schools. It is an amazing documentary about Sonia, a survivor of the Holocaust and lives in Kansas City, MO, who talks about her experience in the Holocaust. Sonia was present at Columbia Hickman High School recently to speak about the documentary. She as part of a receiving line for 2 hours, spending time speaking with the students. This documentary has been introduced to many organizations. Mrs. Moore added that the Optimist Creed is important to Sonia, and plays a major role in her life. The Optimist Creed along with the Ten Commandments are placed on a wall in Sonia’s tailor shop she has in Kansas City, MO. Mrs. Moore volunteers her time promoting the Big Sonia documentary. Her personal goal is to see organizations like the Optimists share this resource. If you would like further information please contact Suzi Moore at (816) 536-1760 or email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Monday, October 15 – Mariquet Klein – Autism RBHS
Monday, October 22 – Heather Dimitt-Fletcher and Drew Bennet – Big Brothers and Big Sisters
Monday, October 29 – NO Meeting (Social is on Tuesday, October 30)
Monday, November – Janet Godon, City of Columbia Parks and Recreation – Bike Coop and Youth Bike Program
Adjourn with the Creed: 12:48 p.m.
Downtown Optimist Club Member