The Weekly Bulletin
July 24, 2017
Call to order: Ed Musterman, President at 12:05
Invocation: Ken Oster
Pledge: Steve Winters
Introduction of Guests
Mark Stevenson, long time member, having recently returned from Europe joined the DO luncheon dressed in his Tour de France costume. Welcome back and come lunch with us more often Mark.
Birthdays and Anniversaries
Mystery Person –
John Sapp presented today’s award certificate to Jake Jolley for his work coordinating the DO volunteers for the Show-Me Games.
Jim Beckett recounted his prior week saying it was mainly non eventful. The main non-event was the minimal storm damage (a 20 foot tree limb on the driveway) to his property after the weekend big storm. He is downsizing to make the move to Lenoir Woods. A big part of the downsizing involves moving all his scrap metal he has collected over the years for and from his antique car collection to a scrap metal collection site. He still has a few more truck loads to contribute.
President Musterman instituted a spur of the moment best dressed announcement to Commissioner Dave Murphy for the sporty costume he was wearing: boat shoes and socks, khaki shorts, a smart casual short sleeved shirt and a country gentleman straw hat.
- Sign In and badge or Pay the Pig All were signed in with their badges. However, Carl Scott, always searching for ways to increase the pig, alluded to the list of Optimist volunteers published in the paper. All Show-Me volunteers had to pay the pig for their public notoriety.
- New Member Recruitment events are on summer break according to C.O. Scheffer.
- Board Meeting July 20 A grant award of $1.200 was given to the Family Impact Center for its Schools Out CO program that will provide programming and meals to 30 CHA school kids during six teacher meeting days in the upcoming school year. Also, the board discussed meeting one night a month for a dinner meeting, spouses included, for fellowship and to accommodate members who are unable to attend the weekly luncheon meetings.
- Steve Winters will check with Shakespeare’s South for an available date and arrange with MU’s Angela Speck, Professor, Director of Astronomy, Astrophysics and General Relativity, to speak on the upcoming solar eclipse.
- Scrap Book – Mary Dewey asks members with pictures of Optimists’ events to pass them along to her for the club scrapbook.
- Show Me Games – Jake Jolley had last weekend’s volunteers stand to be recognized for their work. “A lot of good conversation during a hot day. Plus lots of Gatorade to stay hydrated.” A couple of volunteers are still needed 1-5 PM, on July 30th
- Oratorical Contest is coming up in April, 2018. Feel free to join this committee by contacting President Ed Musterman (firstname.lastname@example.org). Columbia Public Schools will be notified of this event where the ultimate prize in $22,000. Topic for the 2017-2018 School Year is: “Where are My Roots of Optimism?” Students under the age of 18 as of October 1, 2017 are eligible. Interested students need to submit a speech on the pre-assigned topic to one of the local Optimist Clubs. More information can be found at: http://www.optimist.org/e/member/scholarships4.cfm.
- Essay Contest is coming up in February, 2018. Feel free to join this committed by contacting President Ed Musterman (email@example.com) The club needs to spread the word to attract more kids. Topic for the 2017-18 School Year is: “Can Society Function Without Respect?” Youth under the age of 18 as of October 1, 2017 located in the United States, Canada, or the Caribbean are eligible. Locally interested students should contact the Downtown Optimist Club. They need to submit an essay on the pre-assigned topic. More information is available at: http://www.optimist.org/e/member/scholarships3.cfm
- Soap Box Derby took place this past weekend. Final results are not yet available to us, but one of our local kids took 2nd Place in the DQ Pre-Race. However, all three of the DO sponsored racers were eliminated after the first heat down the Akron hill. Of the three racers, one was a 1st time racer, a second was a two-time racer and the 3rd was a repeat winner from last year. The Derby Racers and parents are invited to recount their stories at our Aug 7 meeting.
- Tribbys – Carl Scott alerted member of the Columbia Tribune’s “Best of Boone County Prep Sports.” This annual event took place last week and is a fun event featuring local young athletes. He encouraged club members to consider attending next year.
Steve Winters gave a brief and very concise presentation on the sales tools he has developed for our upcoming Koeze Nut and restaurant certificate fundraiser. We all know both Red Leighton and Jim Beckett are scaling back and retiring from their fundraising sales. So, Steve divided Red Leighton’s and Jim Beckett’s accounts into small compact customer clusters, created google maps for each, and provided a separate list of customer names addresses phone numbers and included a past order history. He incorporated these into individual booklets for members to voluntarily pick up these mini territories. He has also offered to create customized stickers to attach to customer sales receipts. Sticker will provide contact information on the Optimist sales person along with order deadlines and shipping dates. Sample booklets were circulated along with sales routes for members to volunteer for the various routes.
Couldn’t make the meeting but want to volunteer for one of these routes? Contact Steve Winters at: firstname.lastname@example.org/
Steve will return as our speaker on August 28 to kick off our fall fund raising drive. This year members will be provided with individual packets of all the information needed to take orders (Koeze Brochures, Restaurant Information Sheets, letters for the President and for those picking up Red’s accounts, letters from Red to his former customer.
Great work Steve!
July 31 – Brianna Lennon, Atty, New MO Voter ID law
Aug 7 – Soap Box Derby winners and parents
Aug 14 – Cheryl Unterschutz, Girls on the Run
Aug 21 – Solar Eclipse Day No meeting due to expected high volume of traffic.
Aug 28 – Steve Winters, Koeze Nuts
Sept 4 – No Meeting, Labor Day
Adjourn with the Creed: 12:45