The Weekly Bulletin
July 10, 2017
Call to order: at 12:05 by Mary Dewey
Invocation: by Dave Murphy
Pledge: lead by Scott Stager
Introduction of Guests
Birthdays and Anniversaries
Larry Fick celebrated his 76th birthday this past week
Mystery Person; – Jim Murphy had a lot of members to offer the award to this week but in the end gave it to Dave Murphy who reminded the group with a payment to the pig-fine that he was the only Murphy in attendance at the June 26 meeting..
Larry Fick was today’s greeter. He mentioned his wife completed her post-surgery recovery program this past week. In addition to his gratitude for her successful recovery, he was not unhappy to relinquish his temporary plant watering chores though he retains his dishwashing chores. Also, his neighbor offer to buy him lunch for his birthday. Only afterwards did his neighbor mention it would be in Jefferson City after a bike ride to the restaurant. His brother-in-law offered a similar deal with a different destination. Larry did a whole lot of bike riding for his birthday.
- Club Social July 13th. Picnic atmosphere, guests to be invited, Charge is $10 per head. Volunteers are still welcome to help with refreshments and clean up. Max expect 50 to attend.
- New Member recruitment event – C.O. Mike Hatchet, Jessica, and Travis – Will be part of the July 13th social.
- Food Bank – Larry Fick, Jim Murphy, Carl Scott Carl mentioned he was late in arriving last week and neither Jim nor Larry showed. Turned out it was HOT DOG DAY. Luckily Carl waited a bit to get another assignment to help out.
- Garden Party – Steve Winters announced it was another success.
- Optimist International Essay Contest Rick McKernan announced the news of the 2017-18 contests. The club level contest will be held in February, 2018 for applicants under the age of 18 as of October 1, 2017 and enrolled in school. The topic is “Can Society Function Without Respect?” Club winners will compete for a $2,500 college scholarship at the district level. More information is available at http://www.optimist.org/c/member/scholarships3.cfm
- Optimist international Oratorical Contest The club level contests are usually held in late March for applicants under the age of 18 as of October 1, 2017. Club winners must be submitted to the district no later than May 15, 2018. The topic is “Where are My Roots of Optimism.” More information is available at http://www.optimist.org/e/member/scholarships4.cfm
- Junior Achievement – Carol Allbritton, the JA local coordinator, thanked the club for its grant of 1,500 for supplies used in their teaching program. She showed the teaching guide materials both teacher and students use in the program. It is taught to 6,000 kids (mainly in grades K-5) in Boone County. If it were not for mobile students in middle and high schools, the program could benefit older students. Most high schools decline participation in the JA program, although the program is offered during summer school at Hickman H.S.
The role of JA is teaching entrepreneurship to students. Participants learn the difference between “wants” and “needs.” They learn personal finance with check writing and debit card use. They are exposed to land use regulations with city planning and zoning ordinances to show where certain types of business can locate. Taxes and the benefits provided by taxes are covered. Professionals volunteer to assist kids in their projects. Carol mentions an interesting statistic is 20% of JA alumni work in the same field as their JA volunteer. Apparently, the various school systems track these grade school kids through graduation and even college or university to get this data.
Carol’s responsible is volunteer recruitment. It’s her job to come up with enough volunteers to present the JA materials to the students. The curriculum is all laid out. So, with a mere half hour of preparation and a commitment to spend 5 hour long sessions with the kids, anyone can become a JA teacher.
July 17 – Monique White, Pascals Pals.
July 24 -Steve Winters, Koeze Nuts
July 31 – Brianna Lennnon, New voter ID Law
Aug 7 – TBD
Aug 14 – TBD
Aug 21 – TBD
Aug 28 – Steve Winters, Koeze Nuts
Adjourn with the Creed: 12:50